From Post-Apocalyptic RPG wiki
This article describes what the PARPG project aims to become. Furthermore it serves as a way to clarify the vision of the project by explicitly stating what the PARPG project does NOT aim to become.
What is PARPG?
PARPG is envisioned to become a post-nuclear role playing game. Exact game feature list changes over time, but the following lists the main guidelines for development:
- The game will be inspired in multiple ways by the classics of the golden age of isometric RPGs. First and foremost Fallout (settings-wise) but also Arcanum (quality of graphics) as well as Planescape: Torment (quality of written dialog).
- Post-apocalyptic setting. Story, setting and game mechanics are currently being fleshed out
- Open source code, asset & documention licensing
- Non-profit. The game and all tools will be free of charge for everyone
- Open development philosophy. Public development wiki and forums. Anonymous SVN checkout
- The game will put heavy emphasis on choice & consequence, based on the stats of you the character you play, trying to minimize the influence of the reflexes of the player who plays the game.
- Therefore combat will not be fought in real-time but in a turn-based mode as in the Fallout RPGs.
- Instead of full 3D flexibility, the game focuses mainly on using high quality isometric 2D graphics. This puts less demands on target platforms and also simplifies game development.
- The game will be completely written in Python, utilizing the FIFE open source isometric game engine.
- We are targeting: Linux, Mac OS X, Windows
- PARPG is also the temporary working title of the project. We can reconsider this choice once we've assembled a team and worked out the fundamentals especially setting- & story-wise.
What PARPG is NOT
- An open source carbon copy of the Fallout RPGs
- We are not targeting: mobile phones, BSD variants (it might run fine nevertheless, we're just not officially supporting it), esoteric operating systems with a very small market share
Similar / competing projects are listed here: Similar games