2d graphics design process
From Post-Apocalyptic RPG wiki
Image Sizes for 2d art
- Inventory items in this early phase should be roughly 500x500px in size.
- Inventory thumbnials need to be 50x50px in size. Either use a transparent background for the thumbnails or this background image: 
- There is sometimes a needed for a small bitmap representing the object lying on the ground. It is hard to feel the scale v. visibility balance, but once you get it - it will be all OK :)
- Portraits usually share hi-res 4x5 vertical rectangle, like 2000x2500px (we need those, the GUI will be rebuilded with time and the sizes can change), but in game for now are smaller versions, 100x125px.
- Ground tiles are 72x36px in size.
- All graphical assets that will be directly used in the game will be saved as PNG files. PNG files offer lossless compression and are therefore strongly prefered over lossy image formats!
- Source versions of graphical assets should be saved in the native file format of your graphics editing application. This is useful to retain layer and editing history information. The two most popular file formats for this purpose are .xcf (Gimp's native format) & .psd (Adobe Photoshop's native format).
Please do not put any logos/watermarks on images and don't scale them down.